Healthy tip of the day salt vs. sugar.
If you eat too much salt, you simply PEE it out.
If you eat too much sugar, it leads to elevated blood sugar and insulin levels, which causes salt retention.
Don’t blame salt for what the sugar did.
For sodium restricted meals in Chicago and surrounding suburbs click here
Spread the word!!! We have a REFERRAL PROGRAM!!!!!
Tell someone about us and when they order, you will get a FREE week of food and they will get 20% OFF their first order.
Call Betsy at 224-480-3700 to get your free food and have your friend call Betsy to get their special price.
Let us help you
Our meals are calorie controlled, low sodium, low cholesterol, low in saturated fats, low in added sugars and high in taste!
Let our team help you. Just order, heat, and enjoy our chef-crafted meals.
No need to worry! We got you covered. Take the guesswork out of preparing healthy meals.
No Shopping, No Preparing, No Cooking! ………Just good eating!!!
Sparkling water is popular, but is it healthy?
Seltzer water, also known as sparkling water or carbonated water, has indeed become popular in recent years but is it healthy?
What is seltzer water?
Seltzer water, also known by various names like sparkling water, carbonated water, or bubbly water, is created by dissolving carbon dioxide (CO2) gas into still or flat water. This process, which involves adding carbon dioxide under pressure, is what gives seltzer water its effervescence and characteristic fizzy quality. Seltzer water has indeed become increasingly popular in recent years, contributing to the growth of the carbonated soda industry. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of seltzer water that consumers might want to consider:
- Zero Calories: Seltzer water is typically calorie-free, making it a good alternative to sugary sodas for those looking to cut down on their calorie intake or lose weight.
- No Added Sugars: Unlike many soft drinks, seltzer water is usually free from added sugars, making it a healthier option for those concerned about their sugar consumption.
- Hydration: Seltzer water is still water, so it helps keep you hydrated. The carbonation can make it more appealing to those who find plain water boring.
- Refreshing: The effervescence and bubbles in seltzer water can provide a refreshing and enjoyable drinking experience.
- Versatile: Seltzer water can be a versatile base for various beverages. You can add a splash of juice, a twist of citrus, or even use it as a mixer for cocktails.
- Dental Health: The carbonation in seltzer water can make it slightly acidic, which may erode tooth enamel over time. However, this is generally less acidic than soda and is a concern primarily with excessive consumption.
- Digestive Sensitivity: Some individuals may experience bloating or gas when consuming carbonated beverages, including seltzer water. This can be uncomfortable for some people.
- Bone Health: There have been concerns about carbonated beverages, including seltzer water, potentially affecting bone health due to their acidity. However, the impact on bone health is generally considered to be minor and is more relevant when excessive amounts are consumed.
- Environmental Impact: The production and packaging of seltzer water can have an environmental impact, including the use of plastic bottles and energy consumption in carbonation processes. Many companies are working to reduce their environmental footprint.
- Cost: While seltzer water can be an economical choice when compared to bottled soda or other beverages, purchasing it regularly can still add up in terms of cost, especially if you opt for premium or flavored brands.
Is seltzer water bad for you?
Though seltzer water is just as hydrating as regular water, it does have some advantages and disadvantages as stated above. Sparkling water has become popular but is it healthy? Sparkling water can be more interesting, appealing and enjoyable than plain water. It often comes in a wide variety of flavors. What’s more, such flavors don’t usually require the use of artificial sweeteners. This makes seltzer water a good choice for those looking to reduce their calorie intake or avoid added sugars.
To wrap things up…
Again, sparkling water has become popular but is it healthy? Seltzer water offers a low-calorie, sugar-free, and refreshing alternative to traditional sodas. However, it’s important to be mindful of potential dental and digestive effects, as well as the environmental impact of its production and packaging. As with any beverage, moderation and balance are key to enjoying its benefits while minimizing potential drawbacks